Partnership and the SMI
The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) encourages tripartite research and development (R&D) partnerships among tertiary & research institutions, the maritime industry and technology companies.
In its commitment to develop Singapore into a maritime technology cluster and be at the forefront of new maritime technologies, MPA facilitates active maritime research and development (R&D) partnerships among tertiary & research institutions (TRIs), the maritime industry and technology companies.
The aim is to develop technologies and products that are relevant to the maritime industry, with proven ideas and innovations being commercialised as products, applications and services by the industrial sector.
As a Whole-of-Government initiative, MPA, together with the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR) and Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) set up the Singapore Maritime Institute (SMI) in 2011 to support and promote maritime research, education and training within the local TRIs.
Singapore and other maritime nations face similar challenges within the maritime industry, and R&D can play an important role in meeting these challenges. Joint R&D can leverage on the expertise of different countries to address common challenges in the areas of productivity and navigational safety. These collaborations can also create new business opportunities for the maritime industry in these nations and ensure that the products and services developed meet a common standard for inter-operability.
As part of its overseas R&D outreach programme, the MPA has signed an MOU with the Research Council of Norway (RCN). This co-operation provides a useful framework for research institutes, academic institutions and the industry in both countries to collaborate on use-inspired maritime R&D, education and training projects.
The International Maritime-Port Technology and Development Conference (MTEC) is also jointly organised under this collaboration. This biennial conference offers a unique platform for the global maritime industry and research community to exchange ideas, showcase R&D results, network and form collaborations to further R&D in maritime technologies.
- Setting Up in Singapore
- Setting Up Your Maritime Business in Singapore
- Applying for Employment Passes
- Registering a Ship
- Programmes to Support Your Maritime Business
- Maritime Sector Incentive - Approved International Shipping Enterprise (MSI-AIS) Award
- Maritime Sector Incentive - Maritime Leasing (MSI-ML) Award
- Maritime Sector Incentive - Shipping-related Support Services (MSI-SSS) Award
- Withholding tax ("WHT") exemption on interest and related payments made in respect of loans obtained to finance the purchase or construction of ships
- Withholding tax ("WHT") exemption on interest and related payments made in respect of loans obtained to finance the purchase of containers and intermodal equipment
- Developing Manpower
- Developing Infocomm Technology Capability
- Research & Development
- Grants and Incentives
- Latest Happenings
- Industry Partnerships
- Innovation Showcase