Application for A New Licence or Re-licensing

The procedure for applying for a new pleasure craft licence or re-licensing. Includes sailing dinghies.

Applying for or renewing pleasure craft licence

The following documents are to be submitted to the MPA One-Stop Document Centre (OSDC):

  • PM 74 Application Form - Refer to Appendix 6
  • Identification of owner -
    • Original NRIC (for Singapore citizens);
    • Original Passport (for foreigners);
    • Latest copy of Instant Information Printout from the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) for company-owned craft. *SZH applications must be registered under company.
    • Please note that all new owners/licensees must have an MPA account. Please follow the below link in our website to apply for the MPA account if you do not have an MPA account(
  • Proof of ownership of hull and engine -
    • Bill of Sale or Purchase Receipt of the hull;
    • Builder’s Certificate or Certificate of Registry;
    • Bill of Sale or Purchase Receipt of the engine.
  • Certificate of Registry -
    • Applicable to pleasure craft carrying more than 12 persons and permitted to operate beyond the port limits. The Safety Equipment Certificate is to be produced if the number of persons that the craft is permitted to carry is not reflected on the Certificate of Registry or the Certificate of Ownership.
  • Origin of craft -
    • Arrival Declaration;
    • Import Permit/Bill of Lading.
  • Insurance Policy -
    • Applicable to all mechanically-propelled pleasure craft equipped with outboard or auxiliary engine, and non-mechanically pleasure craft which are 7 metres and above in length. The policy must cover the third party liabilities including wreck removal, personal injuries, etc. e.g. under Clause 11 of the Institute Yacht Clauses (IYC) (1/11/85). The minimum sum insured is S$25,000/- for any one accident or occurrence. It should cover the period up to the next expiry date of the craft licence. The insurance company must be a Singapore-registered company. If the insurance company is a foreign one, a letter from the local representing office confirming same must be submitted.
    • If Persons-to-carry less or equal to 12
      Minimum Insurance amount = $25000 for any one accident or occurrence
    • If Persons-to-carry > 12 (i.e.craft licensed to carry more than 12 passengers)
      Insurance amount = $25000 + [( Persons-to-carry - 12 ) * $5000] in any one accident or occurrence
  • Mooring Letter -
    • Owners of pleasure craft are required to store their craft at established boatels, yacht clubs, marinas or designated pleasure craft mooring sites. Confirmation letter of mooring from such boatel, yacht club or marina is to be submitted
  • GST payment -
    • Good and Services Tax (GST) is payable for all goods imported into Singapore. Likewise GST is payable for imports of pleasure craft, whether new or used, including visiting yachts to be used locally. The GST payment is to be made to Singapore Customs. Owners of foreign-registered visiting pleasure craft can apply for a Customs Temporary Import Permit GST relief (See Appendix 8).
  • Non-citizen Undertaking Letter - For non-Singapore citizens.
  • Installation of Transponder-
    • All mechanically propelled pleasure craft are required to be installed with an AIS transponder.
  • Craft Inspection
  • Payment of respective dues and fees

Do not purchase craft from unknown sources as without the Bill of Sale or purchase receipt, no registration will be carried out.

Carve and paint the licence number
Upon approval of the application, a craft licence number will be assigned. The letters and numbers comprising the licence number shall be painted on each bow and carved on, cut in or centre-punched into the main beam of the pleasure craft. The licence number on the bow shall be at least 15 centimetres in height and of proportionate width and that on the main beam shall be at least 9 centimetres in height and of proportionate width.

Sailing Dinghies
From 1 Oct 2005, licence for a sailing dinghy (except those intended for commercial hire) is issued for a period of 36 months. “Sailing dinghy” means a single-hulled pleasure craft with overall length equal to or less than 6 metres and without any motorized means of propulsion on board.

Name of Pleasure Craft No two craft shall bear the same name. The owner must be prepared to change the craft's name should there be an existing one in the Register. Craft bearing undesirable names which are likely to cause confusion in an emergency will not be registered.

Renewal of craft licence

The craft licence must be renewed before its expiry.

  • Payment of Dues and Fees -

    • Make payment of the necessary dues and fees shown in the Renewal Notice/Craft Licence Certificate. Payment is by Cash/Cheque/Credit cards/NETs. If the payment is made by cheque, it should be crossed and made payable to “MPA”. The payment of such dues and fees does not constitute a renewal of craft licence.

    • A late renewal fee of $10.70 (inclusive of GST) is payable if payment is received within 30 days after the expiry date. Relicensing application is applicable if the owner fails to comply with the above.

  • Booking an inspection - (See Section 3 – Inspection of Craft).

  • Undertaking Letter - To be completed, signed and submitted if inspection is not required in that year.

  • Insurance Policy - See Section 2 - Applying for or renewing a pleasure craft licence (Insurance Policy)
  • Mooring Letter - To be submitted if the mooring/storage base has changed. (See Section 1 Introduction)

  • Issuance of Craft Licence Certificate - A new licence will be issued to the owner after the above formalities have been cleared.

Payment will not be accepted until all relevant documents mentioned above are submitted. Craft with expired licence will be charged ocean-going dues upon expiry of its licence.

Notification of non-renewal

Under the Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (Pleasure Craft) Regulations, 1997, if a licence is not renewed before the date of expiry, the owner of the pleasure craft shall inform the Port Master in writing or in person the reason for not renewing the craft licence, and also what the owner intends to do with the pleasure craft. A notice of composition fine may be issued for not complying with this requirement.