Maritime R&D milestones
Since 2003, MPA has been developing Singapore as a centre of excellence for maritime research and development, to bolsters the competitive edge of Singapore’s maritime cluster. Over the years, MPA has supported the industry and tertiary and research institutes to strengthen collaborations and co-fund R&D projects through various initiatives and programmes to develop maritime research and development capabilities in the industry as well as in the universities and research institutes.
Joint Tertiary & Research Institutions and MPA R&D Programme (RDP) (2004 - 2011)
The RDP was launched to co-fund maritime-related R&D projects by Tertiary Research Institutes (TRIs) for technologies or innovations with commercial potential.
Platform for Test-bedding, Research, Innovation and Development for New-maritime Technologies (TRIDENT) (2004 – 2015)
The TRIDENT platform supported companies and TRIs to undertake maritime-related R&D and innovation development as well as to undertake test-bedding of technologies by leveraging on Singapore’s port and maritime facilities.
Maritime Industry Attachment Programme (MIAP) (2004 – 2011)
MIAP was to encourage university students attached to maritime companies to generate industry relevant maritime R&D ideas either for their final year projects or master degree R&D projects when they returned to the universities.
Maritime Technology Professorships (MTP) (2004 – 2012)
Under the MTP, prominent professors and industry experts in the maritime field were invited to spearhead maritime R&D projects with the TRIs.
MPA-A*STAR Offshore Technology R&D Programme (OTRP) (2007 – 2011)
The OTRP was a joint programme with the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), Economic Development Board (EDB) and National University of Singapore to support offshore and marine engineering research.
MPA-NTU Maritime Clean Energy Research Programme (MCERP) (2010 – 2015)
The MCERP focused on develop system-level solutions in the green shipping and green port domain, and was conducted through the Centre for Maritime Energy Research (CMER) under the Energy Research Institute at NTU (ERI@N).
- Setting Up in Singapore
- Setting Up Your Maritime Business in Singapore
- Applying for Employment Passes
- Registering a Ship
- Programmes to Support Your Maritime Business
- Maritime Sector Incentive - Approved International Shipping Enterprise (MSI-AIS) Award
- Maritime Sector Incentive - Maritime Leasing (MSI-ML) Award
- Maritime Sector Incentive - Shipping-related Support Services (MSI-SSS) Award
- Withholding tax ("WHT") exemption on interest and related payments made in respect of loans obtained to finance the purchase or construction of ships
- Withholding tax ("WHT") exemption on interest and related payments made in respect of loans obtained to finance the purchase of containers and intermodal equipment
- Developing Manpower
- Developing Infocomm Technology Capability
- Research & Development
- Grants and Incentives
- Latest Happenings
- Industry Partnerships
- Innovation Showcase