To apply for an ordinary registration, please submit this form to the Registrar of Ships to get:
- Approval for vessel's name (owners must indicate their intention if they want to reserve certain names for use by their vessels) They should provide the Registry with the name of the replacement vessel where applicable.
- Vessel’s official number and call sign / signal letters
Register a Vessel Name
- All names to be used for a Singapore vessel must be approved by the Authority. This is applicable even when there is no change in the vessel name from its previous registry.
- Applications for vessel names must be made at least two weeks in advance to factor in the possible unavailability of the name.
- More than one name may be submitted for approval but the order of preference must be clearly indicated.
- An approved name is valid for a period of one year.
Reservation of Vessel Name
- The existing name of a Singapore vessel may be reserved by its owner for a period of 10 years for use by a replacement vessel
- Provide the Registry with the name of the replacement vessel that will take on the reserve name.
Change of Vessel Name
- To change the name of a vessel that is already registered (or is going to be registered as a Singapore vessel), approval must be sought from the Registrar.
- Upon receiving approval for the new name, an amendment slip for the Certificate of Registry and a Carving and Marking Note will be issued by the Registry.
- The Carving and Marking Note must be certified by the vessel’s classification society and returned to the Registry within 30 days of its issuance date.
- A fee of S$26 will be charged for the approval of a change in vessel name.
Call Sign / Signal Letter
- State clearly the gross tonnage of the vessel in the application letter.
- If the vessel is fitted or needs to be fitted with a radio station, then:
- Upon receiving the Call Sign/Signal letter, the vessel owner needs to apply to the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) for a licence to operate the ship board radio station.
- Vessels equipped with GMDSS are required to obtain the Maritime Mobile Service Identity number (MMSI) from the International Mobile Services Department of Singapore Telecommunications Limited.