Singapore Hosts 35th ASEAN Maritime Transport Working Group Meeting
27 February 2018
1. The Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) will host and chair the 35th ASEAN Maritime Transport Working Group Meeting (MTWG) from 27 February to 1 March 2018.
2. The MTWG is the principal coordinating and implementing arm of the ASEAN Senior Transport Officials Meeting (STOM) that advances maritime transport related programmes, projects and activities under the Kuala Lumpur Transport Strategic Plan 2016-2025 (KLTSP). The KLTSP is a 10-year masterplan for the ASEAN transport sector aimed at enhancing regional economic integration.
3. At the 35th MTWG, the 10 ASEAN Member States will further discussions on regional cooperation initiatives embodied in one of the goals of the KLTSP, to “establish an ASEAN Single Shipping Market and promote maritime safety, security and strategic economic corridors within ASEAN”. Also on the agenda would be a discussion on the finalisation of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on the Improvement of Safety Standards and Ship Inspection for Non-Convention ships.
4. Chairman of the MTWG, Capt. M Segar, Assistant Chief Executive (Operations), MPA said, “Singapore is honoured to be chairing the 35th MTWG, against the backdrop of Singapore’s ASEAN chairmanship in 2018. The MTWG has served as an effective platform for cooperation and dialogue amongst the ASEAN Member States to achieve greater connectivity, efficiency, safety and sustainability in maritime transport within ASEAN. The ASEAN Member States also enjoy strong collaboration with ASEAN Dialogue Partners such as China, Japan and the Republic of Korea, as well as key international organisations such as the International Maritime Organization (IMO). We look forward to hosting our fellow ASEAN Member States and partners in Singapore to advance various MTWG projects and initiatives that will enhance maritime transport in ASEAN.”
5. Singapore will chair the MTWG for a two-year term from 2018 to 2019. The chairmanship of the MTWG is rotated amongst the ASEAN Member States on a biennial basis.
Guest of Honour, Mr Loh Ngai Seng, Permanent Secretary (Transport) and ASEAN Member States’ Heads of Delegation for the 35th ASEAN Maritime Transport Working Group Meeting